Beginner Course, Intro to Whitewater
3 Day Beginner Course – $899 (Minimum of 2 per course)
Available course dates;
November – 18th/19th/20th
December – 2nd/3rd/4th
January – 6th/7th/8th
February – 3rd/4th/5th
February – 17th/18th/19th
March/April – 31st/1st/2nd
4 Day Comprehensive Beginner Course – $1149 (Minimum of 2 per course)
Available course dates;
November/December – 22nd/23rd/24th/25th
December – 6th/7th/8th/9th
December – 19th/20th/21st/22nd
January – 10th/11th/12th/13th
January – 24th/25th/26th/27th
February – 7th/8th/9th/10th
February – 21st/22nd/23rd/24th
March – 7th/8th/9th/10th
March – 21st/22nd/23rd/24th
- LOCATIONS (These are the sections of rivers and lakes that we can use, depending on the river levels, we can travel between all of these rivers!)
- Kaituna River / Reid’s Farm (Waikato River)/ Lake Rotoiti/ Tarawera River/ Rangitaiki River (Aniwhenua section)/ Mohaka River
- Brief overview of NZWA, who we are and what we plan to achieve.
- Description of the basic equipment and river gear, how to wear it and how to fit it to yourself.
- Dos and don’ts of wearing gear, how to be comfortable and safe.
- Picking the right kayak and paddle for you.
- How to outfit a kayak; hip pads, foot rest, seat pad, back band.
- Sitting in a kayak.
- Exiting your kayak on dry ground and in the water.
- How to hold your paddle correctly and the basics of paddling dynamics.
- Walking to the river/carrying your kayak.
- River and whistle signals.
- Instructor gives an in-detail safety briefing before entering the water.
- ON THE RIVER
- We talk about how to identify hazards and important features, such as trees, rocks, main current, eddy-lines, boils, shallow water, including how to identify underwater hazards.
- Entering a river safely.
- Flat water paddling.
- How to ‘wet exit’ safely.
- How to be barrel rolled rescued by instructor.
- How to T-rescue in pairs.
- How to be rescued in the water, holding the grab handles of rescuer’s kayak .
- Emptying water from a kayak, by yourself and in pairs.
- Paddling techniques; forward paddling, back paddling, sweep strokes (front and back).
- Edge control.
- Intro to rolling.
- Intro to moving water, eddy turns, navigating on moving water.
- Exiting a river safely.
- Swimming with your equipment.
- Throw bags and how to use them, practicing rescues as a team on slow moving water.
- Teamwork on a river trip.
- Review all content covered.
- Packing your gear (gear baby).
- Transporting kayaks safely (using tie downs, basic knots).