Intro to Multi-Day Kayaking (2 Days + 1 Night) $899
NZWA will offer this course on the beautiful Mohaka River. We keep you posted on every aspect of trip planning and organisation to give you a better idea of how to prepare an expedition, including meal planning, safety equipment, outdoor first aid, what to bring and how we pack our kayaks.
This river flows through stunning gorges and native forest – we will be spending two full days paddling down a 12 km section of river, camping in the forest next to the river for the night. This is a rustic, self-supported kayaking trip. Competency in class 2/3 whitewater is a must for anyone wanting to book this experience.
All food, transportation, gear rental and instruction is included in the price. And sorry, we don’t offer a discount for having your own gear. A minimum of four people is required for this trip to go ahead. Please subscribe to our email list and stay up to date with river flows and trip times!
- Mohaka River Overnight Adventure (Class 2-3)
- These courses are designed to give you the tools and know-how to go on a multi-day self-supported kayaking trip.
- This workshop covers all aspects of expedition planning.
- Safe river levels: what is too high and too low.
- Watching the weather and predicting the weather to the best of your abilities.
- Knowing when NOT to put on.
- Emergency communication and rescue options.
- Using actual river maps and/or Google Earth to know the section before you put on.
- Shuttles, logistics.
- Meal planning/rationing.
- Sleeping arrangements (hammock, tent, bivy, fly – we help you decide what’s best for a given situation, while noting the pros and cons of each).
- Packing your kayak, step-by-step.
- Dry bag care.
- Tips and tricks to help you stay warm and dry.
- Wilderness survival skills: personal survival kits, wilderness first aid techniques, fire lighting/cooking on the fire, building shelters, fishing.
- Please note that this is a rustic trip, you will be taking minimal gear and entering very remote areas, including canyons with difficult terrain and there will be long days on the water. A moderate to high level of fitness is required our Mohaka River expedition. If this sounds like too much for you, please contact us, we’re happy to talk with you and will do our best to suite your personal needs.